- Full Description
Over four years in the making, at last a one-stop reference for approximately 780 ORIGINAL all-new comic books printed in Canada between 1941 and 1946, only a handful of which have ever appeared in Overstreet. Plus—scads of information about first appearances, writer and artist credits, crossovers, key issues, Hitler, Tojo etc. appearances, significant villains, variants. Plus pricing based on known sales and auctions on these mostly, but not all, scarce comics. “This information has never really been compiled anywhere before and that’s what makes this book valuable...”
Co-author Ivan Kocmarek wrote the first coverage of this entire era of all-original material created in Canada, entirely by Canadian creators, for the Overstreet Priceguide in the 2014-2015 edition. Plus he has wriiten more than 100 highly informative posts on the widely read blog Comic Book Daily.
This short but fascinating era came about due to the War Economy Conservation Act, or WECA, which suddenly stopped all imports of comics books (and pulps, magazines and other material) into Canada when World War II began. Overnight the Canadian comics industry was created. And until the act was repealed in 1946, a plethora of original heroes and heroines were created.
For instance, Nelvana of the Northern Lights--a female super heroine who first appeared a year BEFORE Wonder Woman. Brok Windsor, one of the best drawn of the features, a serialized sci fi epic. The Wing, Johnny Canuck, Freelance Robin Hood...the list is long and interesting.
Beginning in 1946, after years of only black and white interiors—thus the term “Canadian Whites”—a number of titles switched to full color. And, amazingly enough, got some distribution in the U.S. as well as support from Fawcett, touted to their Captain Marvel Club. These are the most available and, for me, some of my favorites.
Early in the period, Fawcett was providing one publisher with stories, allowing them use of Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr, and Spy Smasher, in stories redrawn by Canadian artists!
And how rare are these books? The Nelvana compilation issue, reprints of her earlier story, has sold for $13,000. Typical issues, even in very low grade, sell in the hundreds of dollars. Key issues in slightly better condition can fetch mid-hundreds to thousands of dollars. On the other hand, the more common color issues can show up for as little as $75 in lower grade. All this is carefully detailed in this limited printing, first edition, which will see very limited circulation. Don’t expect to find it in comic stores and certainly not on Amazon.
- Significant first appearances and origin issues (heroes and villains).
- First and last work by a creator (artist and/or writer).
- Start and end of significant arcs.
- Use of historically significant personages (Hitler, Mussolini, Tojo, appearances).
- Significant covers (e.g., first Nelvana cover and which books have Nelvana covers, Nazi covers, bondage covers, etc.).
- Collectable “themed” stories such as robot stories, dinosaur stories, zombie stories, etc..
- Changes in format or production values in a title (e.g., the tabloid appearance of Robin Hood Comics No. 1, the gradual transition of Wow Comics from full color in issue No. 1 to two-color and black and white by issues No. 8 and 9, the multi-pastel color of paper used in early issues of Better Comics, the transition into full color production at the end of the war, etc.).
- Historic background publishing decisions and changes (e.g. the folding of Hillborough Studios and the move of Adrian Dingle to Bell Features in the spring of 1942, the licensing and redrawing of Fawcett heroes by Anglo-American at the start of 1942, the printing and publishing of some later full colour Anglo-American comics in Cleveland, etc.).
- Variants and possible multiple printings.
- Number of known existing copies leading perhaps to a Gerber-type rating.
- Any crossovers or cameos.
- Artists drawing themselves into the story.
- Additional Information
Item Code WECPG Publisher North End Books Publish Date 2018 ISBN 9871775211723 Binding Soft Cover Dimensions 6x9 # Pages 64pg Color Partial Color
You may also be interested in the following item(s)
Regular Price: $24.95
Sale Price $12.95